A rich and fiery chili sauce. Take care when handling chili peppers. And serve sparingly!
Number of servings
2 red onions
250ml malt vinegar
7 garlic cloves
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
800g cherry tomatoes
30 mixed chilies
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Finely chop the red onions and sweat gently on a low heat in olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Peel the garlic and add it to the onions.
- Meanwhile, chop the bell peppers to 1 inch pieces. Add the bell peppers and tomatoes to a roasting dish, and rub with lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Once the onions and garlic have softened, chop and add the chilies, seeds and all. Mix well and continue to gently fry.
- Thoroughly wash your hands following handling raw chilies.
- Once the tomatoes and bell peppers have finished roasting, add them to the pan. Cook for at least 10 minutes, breaking them up with a masher or a hand blender as they simmer. Once broken up, mix in the sugar.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pan and add the vinegar and juice of the limes.
- Cook through for a further 10 minutes, then leave to cool.
- Transfer to sterilized jars and keep refrigerated.
- Leave for at least two weeks before tasting.